Warm greetings from San Diego State University.
A couple weeks ago, we informed you of exciting news that COVID vaccinations will be available on campus this fall, free of charge, for all of our international students. Today, we are reaching out to provide the most recent information the president of SDSU and university leaders shared regarding plans for a safe return to campus this fall. Here are some of the key takeaways from that presentation:
- Approximately 50% of all SDSU students have already been vaccinated.
- Government approved vaccinations received by international students in foreign countries will be accepted at SDSU.
- In order to access in-person classes and campus facilities, all students, faculty, and staff will be required to be vaccinated. This same policy applies to all CSU and UC schools in California.
- Exemptions to the required vaccination can be requested for medical or religious reasons. The CSU system is finalizing a vaccination policy and exemption protocol, which we will be able to share in the next few weeks.
- Anyone not submitting a vaccination record will be COVID tested regularly. The frequency of this testing during the current academic year has been once every 2 weeks.
The On-Campus Experience
- Almost 90% of all fall 2021 classes at SDSU will be in-person or hybrid.
- There will be an expanded and exciting calendar of student activities this fall to enhance the in-person experience. Examples include free tickets and transportation to SDSU football games, water sports at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center, and guided hikes in the beautiful San Diego mountains.
- The 300+ on-campus student clubs and organizations will return to pre-pandemic levels of activities and events.
- Student services across campus will be available in-person, supplemented by virtual options.
- Faculty and students will be required to wear facial coverings.
- All campus buildings have upgraded ventilation systems which optimize indoor air quality.
- 100% of all on-campus classrooms currently have smart technology, and by fall 2021, 75% will have "connected" equipment. These will be Zoom- and livestream-ready, with ceiling-mounted cameras and touchless microphones for students unable to attend class in-person.
Trend lines look extremely optimistic for San Diego and San Diego State University. The vaccination rate in San Diego is higher than the average in California, and the overall national average in the US. While more than 5,000 faculty, staff, and students currently populate SDSU, the gradual re-opening of our entire campus is a process that will be re-defined in the next 2 months. Our campus re-population strategy is designed with student safety as the top priority, and we will continue to keep you updated as more details become available.
Senior Director of Recruitment,
Business Development, &
SDSU Global Campus
Tel/WhatsApp: +1 760 525 8020
San Diego State University